The story of the Midtown Church stretches backward nearly six decades and forward into a future vision. The church began on November 27, 1954, when 13 people met at the United Rubber Workers Union Hall on Firestone Boulevard and started what was then known as the Firestone Church of Christ. They worshipped at the Firestone Union Hall for approximately one year. The preaching responsibilities were shared by Bro. Reddick, Bro. Walter Miller and occasionally by a visiting minister. Bro. Moses A. Hull, perhaps the most influential person in the church’s history, came to Firestone Church the second Sunday they met to lend his support and knowledge as a song leader and teacher. Firestone needed and followed his leadership. When he was asked to serve as minister, he gladly accepted and served in that capacity for more than 37 years. He served as minister emeritus from 1991 to 2010.
In 1955, the church bought property located at 1249 Coker Street and moved out of the United Rubber Workers Union Hall. They paid for the property, then renovated two existing buildings for classrooms, and constructed a new chapel. The congregation grew to more than 125 members filling the building to capacity and moving the congregational leaders to search for a more adequate building. During that time, they learned that the Jackson Avenue Church of Christ was planning to move to Sycamore View Road and began negotiations to buy the property at 2212 Jackson Avenue.
On March 12, 1978, between 125-150 people met for the first time at the Jackson Avenue location and the church name was changed to Springdale Church of Christ. Nine sister congregations assisted with the purchase of the property on Jackson Avenue with pledges varying from $40 to $150. The sister congregations were relieved of their obligations within a two-year period, and the final note was paid in 1990. At the Jackson Avenue location, the church grew significantly and additional property was purchased to accommodate the growth. At the end of the 1990 year, Bro. Hull announced his plans to retire and Bro. Harold R. Redd was selected as the new minister. Bro. Redd preached his first sermon as minister of the Springdale Church on Sunday, January 6, 1991. Under his leadership, the church attendance increased until it was necessary to hold two Sunday morning services.
When the church leaders learned that the Union Avenue Church of Christ was planning to move eastward, they began negotiations which led to the purchase of the building located at 1930 Union Avenue. The purchase of the Union Avenue property was made possible by faith and assistance from sister congregations. Brownsville Road, Highland Street, Sycamore View and White Station helped underwrite the original loan. Also, the Norris Road congregation made a one-time donation. The first worship service was held at the present location on Sunday, August 15, 1993, and the church was named Midtown Church of Christ.
The Midtown congregation continued to grow and has significantly
contributed to the story of our church in the last 21 years. We have
purchased additional property including the hospitality house at 46
South Tucker Street and the minister’s parsonage on 44 South Barksdale. In addition to property purchases, the
congregation has established significant ministries and annual events that are too numerous to write about in this
limited space. However, a few significant accomplishments are noted below:
In 1997, the congregation began the M. A. Hull Scholarship Program with a $100,000.00 (One Hundred
Thousand Dollars) endowed scholarship for preacher training. The M. A. Hull Scholarship is administered
through Harding School of Theology and has three significant purposes. The scholarship honors Bro. Moses
Hull; trains men for ministry; and pays tribute to faithful veteran gospel preachers (M. A. Hull Scholarship
Honorees). Six students have participated in this program and four have successfully completed it.
In 1998, the congregation began an annual Memorial Day Program. This program is the brainchild of Bro. Moses
Hull. This seventeen year old event has proven to be cathartic for our congregation. Annually, we share, laugh,
cry and hope! The Memorial Day program is also an excellent time to rehearse the history of our church and a
methodology for remembering those who have effectively served us.
In 2000, the Midtown Church purchased property at 3212-3213 Raleigh-Millington Road and planted the Raleigh
Springs Church of Christ.
In 2002, the Midtown Congregation was invited to get involved in a struggling work in Earle, Arkansas.
Eventually, Hamilton Archibald, a Harding University student at the time and later a M. A. Hull Scholarship
recipient, became the preacher there. This program is the primary reason for our Annual School Supply Drive.
In 2013, Midtown hosted the First Annual Harold D. Archibald Leadership Conference (HDALC). This
conference recognizes the ardent leadership of Bro. Harold Archibald, who was a faithful elder in the Midtown
Church for nearly 20 years. He was passionate about the Annual African-American Family Seminar. In addition,
he supervised and often sponsored the Youth Exhibiting Awareness (YEA) and Friday, Family, Fun and
Fellowship (FFFF) programs.
The Midtown Church of Christ looks into a future that is brighter than it has ever been! We know we are a work
of God and that He planted us here for His purpose. We trust Him to reveal greater visions and to lead us on!